Here are some useful tips to ensure you shine for the big judgment day:
- Invest the time in your performance review. You need to be well prepared. Take the time to reflect on the highs and the lows as they are equally important for your development going forward.
- Stay calm, don’t allow your boss to throw you off line….remain professional by showing great poise and integrity.
- Speak with confidence and conviction about any aspect you wrote down in your review.
- Ensure there is enough two-way dialogue….remember it’s not just about you getting feedback but also you asking questions. Be sure to seek examples from your boss on where they thought you were a strong performer and visa-versa. This ensures transparency and avoids ambiguity.
- Don’t be afraid to challenge an opinion and/or judgment, especially if you have ample material to back yourself up.
- Don’t forget to seek independent feedback from both internal and external stakeholders as this will back up all the positive work you have done throughout the year as well as corroborate your strengths.
- Make sure you are aware of your weaknesses so that you are well prepared to counteract these against your strengths.